Am I a Veg or a Non-veg?

Posted by Praveen राठी in , , , ,


So guys, smile please because the mystrey is solved. This blog is dedicated to my those dear friends (I pity them!) who have listened to my story on my being "Veg or Non-veg" over and over again.

The first sentence of this blog must have sent a cool breeze through you. Aha! so finally decided. Yes, hopefully. I think now I am eligible to call myself a "Non-veg". The story goes like this:
Till date, whenever someone had asked me if I am a veg or a non-veg, I would have told them that if I have to pay I am a veg and if someone else is paying I am a Non-veg. I have never spent either money or even time on Non-veg, because I don't have any choice and much knowledge in Non-veg. Hence, I haven't eaten much in Non-veg till 1.5 months ago - very rarely at parties only, because I don't have to pay there :). Now when I am in Pune and I have my meals from Army mess, who cook Non-veg 4 days a week, I can't escape that, otherwise I have to stay empty tummy :) So, now I am having enough Non-veg (in fact as a proper diet) to quaify to be called as a "Non-veg".

The first time I ate chicken was in 12th class when I was out with some of my school friends. They were having chicken and I thought of just tasting it and guess what, I liked it and I tasted enough that I didn't have dinner at home :) I got scolding when I told at home that I had chicken. Anyways, I didn't have chicken for a long time after that, may be an year or so and I don't really remember, how and when I started again.

Now there is a twist in the story. Though I have been feeding on chicken for around 1.5 months regularly now, I personally don't like myself being called as "Non-veg". I don't know why, may be some prejudices. I also personally never prefer non-veg over veg if given a choice - I had veg meals in Rajdhani Express (while coming back from Delhi) as well where I could have got non-veg also, free of cost. Few reasons why I don't prefer non-veg are:


  • I don't feel our digestive system is so built that it can digest non-veg food well.

  • It takes around 3 hrs to digest a fish and around 5 hrs to digest a chicken which I can't afford at any cost.

  • Tastewise also, I like salads, vegetables, pulses etc. I don't eat fish and chicken is occasionally fine with me.

So friends, effective immediately, even if I have declared myself a "Non-veg", I hold a special love and fondness for the green vegetables and normal Dal-Roti that have made me survive so strongly till date. Please don't mind if I again change track sometime in near future.


By the way I have always wondered: Is there a difference between being Veg and being Herbivorous OR being Non-veg and being Carnivorous? Help appreciated.

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 at Thursday, April 24, 2008 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 Comments

Congrats on your conversion . Thank God for saving lives of million poor fellows who would have to hear your story otherwise...

April 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM

you remember 10 percent law, class 9th science book.

May 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM

@Priyanshu - Beware! the decision is eligible to change :)

@Vaibhav - I am sorry. I don't remember. What's that?

May 7, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Post a Comment